Foot pain is a common problem these days and a 2008 study published in the Journal of Foot and Ankle Research found that this is more prevalent in women than in men.
Here are the top 5 reasons why your feet hurt and easy remedies for the same
1. High Heeled Shoes
Wearing high heeled shoe is probably the top reason for foot pain in women and is also something which can be fatal and lead to stress fractures, bursitis, sprained ankles and neuroma.
Here’s how you can fix it:
- For a better balance and reduce the pressure on the ball of the foot, wear thick heels
- Periodically give a break to your feet from high heels and wear short heels from time to time, whenever you can wear flat slip ons
- It is better to opt for open-toe high heels, as this type of shoe limits the pressure and discomfort
2. Poorly fitted shoe
Wearing poorly fitted shoe is probably the top second reason for foot pain and most of us don’t actually realise that we are wearing a poorly fitted shoe.
The highly probably reason why you end up with a wrong shoe size is because , for example your foot size is 6.5 and there’s only 6 or 7 size shoe available.
Poorly fitted shoe not only puts lot of pressure on your feet but tight ones can actually irritation and injury to your feet, here are few ways to make sure you avoid this
- Buy shoes with good textured sole and ankle support
- Measure your feet size every 6 to 8 months
- Make sure you buy shoe with correct shoe size
Foot pain in pregnancy is something we all have to go through and there’s no way around, but we can definitely alleviate the pain
- For arch pain , stretch daily in the morning and before and after any exercise, don’t go barefoot and wear supportive low-heeled shoes
- For foot cramps you may try increase circulation by rotating ankles and elevating feet while sitting
- For swollen feet due to edema, put feet up whenever possible, stretch legs frequently, wear wide comfortable shoes and don’t cross legs when sitting
4. Standing for long periods of time
This happens especially when your work demands you to stand for long periods, it not only puts lot of pressure on your feet causing foot pain, but it also increases the risk of various foot and leg problems because it puts strain on bones, joints, tendons, muscles and ligaments.
Here are few things you do to avoid serious problems:
- Sit down more often while working and also make sure you sit down in breaks
- Stand on an anti-fatigue mat or carpeting
- Don’t wear high heeled or narrowed shoes
5. Ingrown Toenails
An ingrown toenail, also known as onychocryptosis or unguis incarnatus, is a painful condition of the toe. It occurs when a sharp corner or edge of the toenail digs into the skin at the end of or side of the toe
Some of the home remedies for ingrown toenails include
- Soak the foot in warm water four times a day.
- Wash the foot, including the affected area, twice a day with soap and water. Keep the foot clean and dry during the rest of the day.
- Do not wear high heels or tight-fitting shoes.